We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, without regard to gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Isobionics B.V is a wholly owned subsidiary (around 25 employees) of BASF Nederland B.V. Isobionics is an ingredients company in the Netherlands that develops, produces and sells a range of natural products in the flavor and fragrance market. It does so by using its proprietary platform technology. This technology can produce many compounds such as: citrus oils (Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit), compounds like Valencene, Nootkatone and Sandalwood oil, well as many other less known basic building blocks for the Flavor & Fragrance industry.
As a Strain Engineer you will be working in a challenging and highly interdisciplinary environment. You are involved in developing strains that can be implemented on an industrial scale. Your tasks as a Strain Engineer consist of:
- Developing and implementing approaches for the improvement of microbial strains through metabolic engineering.
- Applying rational pathway optimization, directed evolution and other approaches with the goal of improving the fermentation productivity and yield.
- Evaluating new techniques in strain engineering that would benefit the company.
- Recording and presenting results clearly and effectively to the team.
- Contributing to the company’s intellectual property portfolio and scientific publications.
- Taking up operational tasks is not a problem for you.
You thrive in a team environment where you will be collaborating with other colleagues. We are looking for a teamplayer with strong interpersonal skills. You are self-motivated with a high degree of flexibility and understanding of the biotech business needs. Additionally, you take with you:
- A PhD or Master’s-degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline with several years of experience in metabolic engineering, preferably in more than one host.
- A proven track record in developing and applying metabolic engineering techniques for the improvement of microbial strains. Previous experience with isoprenoid pathways is a plus.
- Practical experience expertise in molecular biology techniques, including DNA assembly methods, CRISPR Cas9, pathway design, and tools for chromosomal integration.
- Practical experience using pathway optimization tools such as RNAseq, metabolomics and proteomics is also a plus.
- Experience with assay development and analytical techniques such as GC-MS is appreciated.
- Fluency in English
You can count on challenging assignments with a lot of responsibility and an "on the job" training within a professional and motivated team. You will end up in an international working environment.
Additionally, you will also receive:
- A challenging position for preferable 40 hours a week.
- A fixed salary based on 40 hours a week (depending on education and experience).
- 8% holiday compensation.
- 25 annual holidays.
- Excellent opportunities for personal growth within an international organization.
- Challenging position for one of the best employers in the Netherlands (Top Employer 2021).