We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, without regard to gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Isobionics B.V is a wholly owned subsidiary (around 15 employees) of BASF Nederland B.V. Isobionics is an ingredients company in the Netherlands that develops, produces and sells a range of natural products in the flavor and fragrance market. It does so by using its proprietary platform technology. This technology can produce many compounds such as: Compounds present in citrus oils (Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit), like Valencene and Nootkatone; important fragrance compounds present in Sandalwood oil, and many other basic building blocks for the Flavor & Fragrance industry.
Isobionics is expanding its scientific team with a Protein Engineer who will work in a challenging and highly interdisciplinary environment. Your tasks as a Protein Engineer consist of:
- Developing and implementing approaches for the improvement of microbial strains and employing enzyme engineering.
- Applying rational protein engineering, directed evolution and other approaches with the goal of improving enzyme expression, solubility, activity, substrate specificity and product profile.
- Leading projects that improve the performance of microbes to produce flavor & fragrance products via fermentation.
- In addition, you will be responsible for monitoring and evaluating scientific trends, as well as contributing to the company’s intellectual property portfolio and scientific publications.
- You will work closely with colleagues from R&D and cooperate with external research institutions within the framework of your projects.
- Taking up operational tasks is no problem for you.
For the position of Protein Engineer we are looking for a proactive team player with a high degree of flexibility and understanding for biotech business needs. Ideally you have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders. Furthermore you bring:
- A PhD or master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline with several years of experience in engineering enzymes.
- A proven track record in developing and applying protein engineering technologies for the improvement of enzymes and microbial strains.
- Experience in the use of bioinformatics methods, protein structural analysis or modelling, modern machine learning techniques, and statistical analysis for directed evolution of enzymes.
- Practical expertise in enzyme technologies, including protein library design and screening, enzyme kinetics, and enzyme assay development.
- Experience in strain engineering and/or fermentation development is a plus.
- A challenging position for preferable 40 hours a week.
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.