We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, without regard to gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Isobionics B.V is a wholly owned subsidiary (around 15 employees) of BASF Nederland B.V. Isobionics is an ingredients company in the Netherlands that develops, produces and sells a range of natural products in the flavor and fragrance market. It does so by using its proprietary platform technology. This technology can produce many compounds such as: citrus oils (Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit), compounds like Valencene and Nootkatone, Sandalwood oil, Patchouli oil, … and many other less known basic building blocks for the Flavor & Fragrance industry.
Your tasks as a Strain Engineer consist of:
- Developing and implementing approaches for the improvement of microbial strains through metabolic engineering.
- Applying rational pathway optimization, directed evolution and other approaches with the goal of improving the fermentation productivity and yield.
- Evaluating new techniques in strain engineering that would benefit the company.
- Recording and presenting results clearly and effectively to the team.
- Contributing to the company’s intellectual property portfolio and scientific publications.
- Taking up operational tasks is not a problem for you.
- A PhD or master’s-degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline with several years of experience in metabolic engineering, preferably in more than one host.
- A proven track record in developing and applying metabolic engineering techniques for the improvement of microbial strains. Previous experience with isoprenoid pathways is a plus.
- Practical experience expertise in molecular biology techniques, including DNA assembly methods, CRISPR Cas9, pathway design, and tools for chromosomal integration.
- Practical experience using pathway optimization tools such as RNAseq, metabolomics and proteomics is also a plus.
- Experience with assay development and analytical techniques such as GC-MS is appreciated.
- You thrive in a team environment, you have strong interpersonal skills and effectively collaborate with others.
- And finally, you are self-motivated, with a high degree of flexibility and understanding of the biotech business needs.
- A challenging position for preferable 40 hours a week, contract drawn up and signed with a secondment party.
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.